DIY: Nail polish rack

I have an obvious thing for polish. I’m always hunting down the hottest colors of the season so it was only a matter of time before I ran out of space to store them. I was searching online for nail polish racks but they were crazy expensive and they weren’t even able to house my entire collection. So I took it upon myself to go to Home Depot and buy the necessary supplies to build one under $30! Enjoy my first “successful” DIY! More to come soon. XOXO
IMG_7446
You will need:
10- 2.5″x 2FT boards
2- 2.5″x 36″ boards
1- 24.5″x 36 back board
1 can of Ultra Cover Gloss white spray paint (Painter’s Touch)
Gorilla Glue -”For The Toughest Jobs On Planet Earth”
Plastic anchors
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Pencil
Ruler
IMG_7472
IMG_7457
IMG_7456
IMG_7448

Comments

1. Oh my gosh that is just so amazing! Is there anything you can’t do!? I so need to make myself one of these!

2. awesome collection you got.

3. i share the passion of love for nail polishes with you! i have over 700 and i store them in racks as well i buy mine at a local nail supply for around 20 dollars, and they also have OPI,Orly &China Glaze for a great price! if you ever come down to Orange County email me and i’ll tell you the spots for you to shop and get tons of polish! <3

4. Can’t wait to make one, it must be so fun to be able to see every color/brand–inspired, thank you! :)

- Nadia from: theunsuperficial.blogspot.com

5. how didi you get it to stay on the wall

6. Vanessa says:

love the Idea. I have been looking for a nail polish display as well and they are very pricy. I love this But must readers I am sure don’t have as much Nail polish as you 200+. I would love this DIY for a 50 or 40 nail polish rack.

Thanks for sharing Dulce

7. OMG I’m so glad you did this tutorial! I have been looking for a nail polish rack too but they are so expensive. I will definitely be going to Home Depot tomorrow and doing this project ASAP.

8. Omg! love your collection!
    And it’s amazing that you made the rack yourself!
    I’m gonna try to make one myself one of these days! great idea!

fabuloussinglemama.blogspot.com

9. Very cool idea! And dang you have a ton of nail polishes! (:

onceuponasprinkle.blogspot.com

10. CottonCandyINK says:

you did an amazing job, super professional! very impressive!!!

11. This looks really heavy. What method did you use for hanging?

12. like WHOAH! You could open up a nail salon! Perfect shelves, about to see tutorial to see how you made them! :)

13. That was a great tutorial! I love that you didn’t even need nails! A useful video many girls will love!!

14. this looks super easy and i def want to try it soon! love your collection!

~nic

15. I just have one great idea to add to ur diy! you should have used something to protect it from earthquakes! just saying since we all live in Cali! but other than that its perfect!

16. I love your nails polish collection! especially the essie’s polishes ♥

17. That is an excellent idea and custom always works best :)

18. Love it!but how exactly did u do the thick frame like in the video? Looks much better :) like expensive..

Evedeko.blogspot.com

19. Wow! You did an amazing job! Thank you for the tutorial!

20. How creative!! I have all my polishes in a Helmer drawer unit, but if I’m looking for a polish I can never find it.. even thought everything is colorcoded and selected by brand. This looks amazing. Great idea. I think I’m gonna do this too, just only for my special and more expensive polishes.

21. you´re a genius!

22. where did you install it??! in you closet??! amazing collection and DIY!!

23. Dulce How did you brace the rack to the wall??? or is it freestanding on the floor?

24. Sandera says:

Hi Dulce ;) You are very creative person ;) I have 9 or 10 the best outfits on your webside.
    You are my fashion guru .. hihi Ok I jokes, but I bought few new things e.g pink leggings or few golden necklaces.

Best wishes!
    P.S. Kisses for Izak ! ;):*

25. Thats very cute and all, but don’t you live in SoCal? That doesn’t look very earthquake proof.

26. OMG, almost 200 nail polishes hahah (can’t belive i count them :P)
    Here they are quite expensive, and the ones that are not expensive are such bad quality..
    AND, i stopped biting my nails (or however it’s called) like a month ago, so i’m veery proud of myself!!
    Anyway, loved the video and your collection!

pd: let me ask you something.. don’t you ever feel like you have for example, 2 or 3 colors that are almost exactly?

27. hi! Wow! You are so beautiful! I am new reading your blog so i would really appriciate if you wrote about yourself, who you are… or if i can read somewere something about you, if you maybe already have written a text about yourself you maybe dont have time to write a new one, so were can i found it?
    Lots of hugs from me! You have a lovely and inspiring blog =)

28. http://www.nabbbs.blogspot.com

please make it famous! Check it out.

29. Hello Candy! How are you?I Speak here of Brazil. I recently found your blog and and shaw all the pages. Loved him very much!

Sorry i dont speak english very well.

Kisses..

30. I’m in heaven. I cannot wait to go on my own nail polish shopping spree. New season, new colors :)

31. Please inform how you hung on wall, I love this!

32. Wow, I have never seen so much nail polish. Looks great!!

33. First of all I’m jealous of your nail polish collection lol !!!!! I’m loving this idea it’s just awesome and i love how it turned out….trust me if i tried it. it would’ve been a complete failure :)

Claudia
    xoxo

34. wow! what a huge idea! How i’d love to have all those nail polishes!!!!!!!!!!

35. Terrific Tutorial. Many thanks for sharing :0

36. I need to make one of these!

37. wow, super collection ;)

38. Hi,I just want to ask you one question. What do you think about french manicure and pedicure? I guess that you like when do french manicure on your fingernails but what about toenail,is that chic??? Please tell me……

39. Hey Dulce, just wondering how you stuck it the wall since you didnt mention that in the video and thanks…great job!:)

40. perfect, i must get my hubby to make one for me.

41. Your nail polish rack has inspired me to make my own but I have a few questions.
    1. What are the plastic anchors for?
    2. How did you attach it to the wall? –probably what the plastic anchors were for but how?

42. Thank you for sharing! Love the video and I think I am going to make me a nail polish rack!

43. Christine says:

What a clever idea, one that I will share with my daughters, both with way too many bottles of polish to count! One question, what do you do when the eventually begin to thicken? With so much polish, it is impossible to use them up before they begin to “go bad” isn’t it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

44. This is a fantastic idea!! I could do this with my lipsticks!!

I would like to offer one suggestion. I think I would put a piece of dowel across each shelf in front of the nailpolish. It would be just my luck to run into the shelf and knock some off!! The dowel would protect them for falling.

I am definitely going to make this.

Thanks for the great ideas!!
    Laura

45. I”m definetly gonna make this my summer project! Im getting my room redone in hot pink so ill totaly spray it pink!
    Ill probably give my dad the supply list and send him off to the home depot! Right now, my nail polishes are held in 3 baskets that don’t match any thing in my house. This is a great idea!

-Your bud, Libby♥

46. @maria i live in orange county where do you get your nail polish?

47. THIS WAS AMAZINGLY HELPFUL AND INSPIRING! I CANNOT WAIT TO START ON MINE!! THANK YOU!!! XOXOXO

48. Saraahh says:

OMGGG this was absolutely helpful, thank you a ton for this video I’ve been looking everywhere on how to make your own self because it is veryyy pricy to purchase one! thank you again :):)

49. Omgg thank you soo much for this video I’ve been looking everywhere for a decent tutorial.. Btw, what is the thickness of the pieces of wood? I just need to know before I purchase them don’t wanna get the wrong size lol

50. That looks awesome, wish i had space for that in my house.

51. Danielle says:

You attach this to the wall with the plastic anchors and screws.. Drill a small holein the wall where you want to place it, place the plastic anchor In the hole in the wall, then screw thru the polish rack into the plastic anchor! obviously place as many as you need to support the weight of your unit.. Most likely at least four screws, if not more!

52. Wow, that looks professional. Great job! Now that your nail polish collection is organized you should try out some nail art tutorials like this one… http://alexabryn.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/half-moon-nails/

53. I’m defiantly gonna try making one of those!

thanks for every thing!!

54. Thanks for the video tips. It really helped me alot. We’ll try something new with your recommendations.
    Good luck on your nail polish business. :)

55. I really want to do this but i cannot find the right size wood ANYWHERE! I want to make mine smaller but I can’t even find the size you used. I’ve checked Home Depot and lowes. Any suggestions?

56. Musica NLAlma says:

Hi Dulce. congrats on the diy nail polish rack. i need to head to the home depot and make one of these myself. would you please, please, please tell me the names of the two clear nail polishes in the round bottles at the top row of your rack (left hand side) are? where can i purchase them? thanks in advance for your help. <3 ~ MNLA

57. Just made this! Thanks for the great idea!!!

58. So nice to see someone using wood! How has it stood up since you made it? I’m a little concerned that the shelves are only held from the side, and with glue. Is it still pretty sturdy?

59. Awesome!!!! i want to make this. How thick are the shelves?